Monday, April 5, 2010

Laurent

I met Laurent in Gordes. He smiled and said Bonjour. We talked for a few minutes and I asked if I could take his portrait. He agreed and it actually turned into a bit of a demonstration for my students as I used my new Einchrom lights. They seemed to enjoy watching me work and we'll talk about what I did as I show them the whole take in class.

That afternoon I was in Gordes with another group of students and I stopped in to see Laurent to tell him I had looked at the pictures and thought they had come out nicely. We again started talking (his English is very good) and he told me about his unusual background. He spends 8 months of the year running his shop in Gordes selling little girls' dresses and other tourist items and the rest of the year he spends in India with his wife, traveling around on motorcycles and promoting dance parties. He's quite open about the unusual life he and his friends lead. He said, "In France I make money. In India I make life."

No comments:

Post a Comment